Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Oh the sad spoon...




It's funny how you name things to help your little ones understand the severity or simplicity of the moment. We coined our discipline spoon, the Sad Spoon. I got a wooden spoon that didn't look like anything I had in my kitchen and drew a sad face on both sides. Stephen, however, felt the need to "improve" one side and make it his own. We prefer using the spoon as opposed to our hands. The spanking does work, but hitting with our hands is so contradicting that we decided on the spoon. Now I know that there have been times when I didn't have the spoon with me (I have no idea why!), so I would pop, if you will, with my hand. I immediately felt guilty. It's funny how you create these "beliefs" in your head before you become a parent and then when you actually have a child, it usually changes based on the nature of the child. Anyway, either way, we need a way of discipline in addition to the time outs that we give.


Funny story...just recently I lost the Sad Spoon...or what I really believe is that Keatyn hid it. Watch out parents, they are smarter than we think!!!!! All I can say for this part of parenting is to each his own. This usually works for us and so this is where we are for now.


Happy Disciplining!!!!! Oh and ps. Stephen's face is not smoking a cig!

5 comments:

Summers said...

HYSTERICAL! I love it! We might cheat and steal that one. I love that she hid it. I can see her tiny legs walking with it somewhere and trying to hide it...and it brings a smile to my face! They are SO precious and SO funny at the same time. What a blessing. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Nicole kraus said...

I have so much to learn!!!!!

Unknown said...

BETH!!! I am so glad I found you...long story short, your blog was on a friend of a friend of a friend's blog, but God works in mysterious ways. I was just thinking of you over Thanksgiving. I have a new blog. The address is: http://jarvisnoelle.blogspot.com/ Congratulations on the new baby, although I've never met Keatyn....~J

Unknown said...

Hi Beth!
I used a wooden spoon on Kyle until one day when it broke and he and Matt both laughed at me! I understand not wanting to spank with the same hand with which you love. However, I am a firm believer in God's discipline plan...spare the rod, etc... Good job!

Jansen said...

YAY! I found you in blogland.
Congrats on baby #2.

love
c-dice